This really is a marmalade since all of the fruit is used: the pulp and the rinds. The seeds are usually placed in a cheesecloth bag to extract whatever pectin is there, but since I only got about 12 seeds from the 2 pounds of fruit, I didn’t figure it would make that much change. I could be wrong, since this didn’t quite set. Still good. The fruit I was able to pick from the trees myself, from the trees of a neighbor. There were way too many to eat, so, here we go preserving again.
- 1 cup thinly sliced, halved kumquats, seeds removed and set aside
- 1 cup white sugar
Cover with sugar and let sit overnight.
- 2 pounds satsumas, unpeeled (you will need a scale)
- 2 jalapenos, keeping the seeds of one jalapeno only
- 1/2 orange or red bellpepper, diced small, seeds too
- 2 1/2 pounds water (5 cups) (I used 8 cups because I really wanted a more jelly-like consistency)
An additional 5 cups granulated sugar
Reserve the satsuma rind, and dice it to make about 1 1/2 cups (combined with the kumquats, will give you a little more than 2 cups of peel. I diced mine small instead of the normal slivers of orange marmalade because I didn’t want it to interfere.
Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 hours. Refrigerate.
The next day, add 2 1/2 pounds sugar (about 6 cups- I added 5 cups since there was already 1 cup with the kumquats
Bring fruit mixture to a boil for 20 minutes. Add sugar and stir until all dissolved. Keep it boiling hard for about 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 220 (for marmalade) or passes the cold-saucer test. Place a saucer in the fridge. Place a spoonful of jelly and place it in the fridge (or freezer?) for one minute. It the jelly wrinkles when you push it with your finger, it is ready.
This took quite a while. I had the burner too low, so actually it simmered for about an hour and all I was doing was evaporating water. I then turned up the heat, and pulled out the trusty candy thermometer.
It took a long time to get to 220. I’m not even sure that it did. It sat at 210 for a long time. It sat at 215 for a long time. Finally, I bumped up the heat to high (the highest), and after a minute or two started to smell the smell of caramelizing sugar. Off the burner. No burned bits, just one little spot stuck to the bottom.
I went ahead and processed all the jars for 10 minutes at a rolling boil. I sterilized the jars by washing them, and them placing them in the oven on a cookie sheet at 200 until I was ready for them. This was about an hour in the oven; pretty sterilized.
The lids are popping now, so, still waiting to see how it sets up. Looks beautiful, though.
This is a fairly large batch which is what I wanted. It produced 4 8-ounce jars, and 8 4-ounce jars. Doubling the batch is partly what took it so long to cook, so, you are forewarned.
This did not set, but instead produced a very thick syrup. Thick enough to pour over some cream cheese, or to glaze some oven-baked chicken wings (thoroughly cooked), chicken or salmon for a nice Asian zing.
Note: The kumquats are not required here, we just had them on hand. If you do not have access to kumquats (they have a very short season), 2 lemons would be good.