Buttermilk may be a good choice for the lactose intolerant and those seeking to reduce caloric intake. Seek out the “cultured” or “Bulgarian” buttermilk for the best options. Here is a nice summer dessert that the whole family can enjoy, guilt-free, and lactose-free. From Southern Living.
Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Sherbert
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (or blueberries; July is Blueberry Month!)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Process strawberries in a food processor or blender 30 seconds or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour strawberry puree through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, pressing with back of a spoon. Discard solids. Add buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla to puree; stir until well blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 2. Pour strawberry mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.) Garnish, if desired.
- *1 (16-oz.) package frozen strawberries, thawed, may be substituted.
source: Southern Living, MAY 2008
and, one more sherbert recipe:
Pineapple Mint Buttermilk Sherbert
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple
Add sugar to buttermilk, and stir to dissolve sugar. Add mint and pineapple (with juice). Begin freezing.