I was introduced to this classic appetizer just a few weeks ago, at Thanksgiving Dinner with my husband’s family. Apparently, it is an old family favorite, having been in the family recipe book for many, many years.
This is a very simple recipe and easy to put together. It’s also the basis for the modern Spinach and Artichoke Dip. Sometimes, simple is good.
To make this classic, you will need:
- 1 14-ounce can water-packed artichoke hearts
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup parmesan, freshly shredded
- Garlic salt to taste (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 small Pyrex or other heavy, attractive baking dish
- fresh crouton slices, bagel chips, or crackers of your choice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain and finely chop the artichoke hearts. Mix with the mayonnaise (not salad dressing!) and cheese. Add garlic salt, starting with 1/4 teaspoon. Taste, and add more if needed. Transfer to baking/serving dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Serve warm with fresh croutons or crackers.