A simple salad using whole wheat orzo pasta and New Orleans olive salad, which is filled with with carrots and capers and garlic and oregano.
The olive oil is so well seasoned that there isn’t a need to add a whole lot of other seasonings. It just needs a little time to marinate with the vegetables before serving. This is also a good winter salad. My original intention when I was planning this was to add half a head of cauliflower, and cook it with the orzo, but I did not get that far. I do love just-cooked cauliflower in a cold Italian salad.
You will need:
- 1 cup dry whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 dry pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced green onions
- 1 cup celery, diced
- Optional: 1 cup of any: cauliflower florets (steamed), broccoli florets (steamed), zucchini (raw) or bell pepper (raw)
- 1 cup New Orleans olive salad mix (the kind used for muffuletta sandwiches) with the olive oil (do not drain the olive oil- this is your dressing!)
- 1/4 cup of your favorite Italian vinaigrette or 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon Dijon musstard
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain well. Combine all the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving. However, it is best served at room temperature.