One of the simplest and most flavorful soups I know how to make.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion or leek, chopped
- about 4 to 6 cups finely shredded green or savoy cabbage
- 1 to 2 cups cooked white beans (or one can)
- 4 cups chicken stock (I actually prefer this soup without the stock but just water)
- salt and pepper, as needed
- Grated Parmesan, to garnish
In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil. Remove the sausage from the casing and add to the hot pot. Using a wooden spoon, break up the sausage as it browns. When the sausage is sufficiently browned, add in the onions or leeks and let wilt.
Add the cabbage, the beans, the stock (if using), and enough water to cover. by an inch or so. I made a booboo when I made this. As I cut the cabbage, I transferred it to a large, 8-cup measuring cup. By the time I had cut a quarter of the cabbage (it was quite a large head of cabbage), it seemed I had only about 5 cups of sliced cabbage. As I transferred it to the soup pot and the cabbage came “unraveled”, it ended up being about 12 cups of cabbage when “fluffed”. Time for a bigger pot! Still turned out great. Cook for about an hour on low and taste for salt and pepper.